PHOTO: LEFTERIS PITARAKIS/ASSOCIATED PRESS
- Since July 7, Israel has killed at least 502 Palestinians in Gaza, including at least 100 children.
- On Sunday (July 20) alone, Israel killed at least 150 Palestinians in Gaza, including at least 17 children, 14 women, and four elderly people.
- During the first three days of Israel’s ground invasion, which began on July 17, Israel killed approximately 200 Palestinians in Gaza.
- According to the United Nations, as of July 20 at 8 AM ET:
- At least 270 civilians have been killed (Note: this figure does not include the complete death toll from Israel’s bloody assault on the Shejaiya neighborhood in Gaza City on Sunday).
- At least 3000 Palestinians have been injured, including at least 900 children and 530 women.
- 100,000 people are internally displaced, including 84,000 who are sheltering in 61 United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) schools.
- At least 72,390 children require specialized psychosocial support (PSS) due to trauma caused by the death or injury of someone they know or loss of home.
- Water supply or sewage services to as many as 1.2 million people have been cut or severely disrupted.
- 80% of the population receives electricity for only 4 hours a day.
- At least 85 schools and 18 health-related facilities damaged since July 7 (three hospitals, twelve clinics and three nursing care centers) require repair. At least one doctor and one medic have been killed and at least 19 medical staff injured, and at least four ambulances damaged.
NOTABLE INCIDENTS OF CIVILIAN CASUALTIES INCLUDE:
- Today (July 21), a family of nine, including seven children, were killed by an Israeli attack.
- Yesterday (July 20), Israeli forces killed at least 66 Palestinians in the Shejaiya neighborhood of Gaza City, including at least 17 children, 14 women, and four elderly people. Condemning the high civilian death toll, UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon called Israel’s assault on Shejaiya “atrocious.”
- On July 19, five civilians, including four members of one family were killed by Israeli shelling in Beit Hanoun in northern Gaza. The dead family were Mahmoud Zuwaid, his wife Daliah, and their children three-year-old Nagham, and two-year-old Ruya.
- On July 18, eight members of the Abu Jrad family including four children were killed by an Israeli missile fired into their home in Beit Hanoun in northern Gaza.
- On July 18, four members of the Shaath family were killed and four others injured, including one seriously, by an Israeli airstrike on their home in Khan Younis in southern Gaza.
- On July 16, four young boys were killed and three others injured, all cousins, by Israeli shelling on the beach in Gaza City. The dead were Ahed Atef Bakr and Zakariya Ahed Bakr, who were ten-years-old, eleven-year-old Mohammad Ramiz Bakr, nine-year-old Ismail Mahmoud Bakr, were all cousins.
- On July 13, 18 members of the same family, including six children and three women, one of them pregnant, were killed, and 16 others injured by Israel in an unsuccessful attempt to assassinate Gaza’s chief of police by attacking his cousin’s home.
- On July 12, an Israeli airstrike killed two residents of a special needs facility in Beit Lahiya in northern Gaza and seriously wounded several others. The dead were 31-year-old Ola Washahi and 47-year-old Suha Abu Saada, who both suffered from severe mental and physical handicaps.
- On July 10, Israeli forces killed 8 members of the Al Haj family, including five children, during an attack on their home in Khan Younis in southern Gaza.
- On July 9, Israeli forces killed at least 9 civilians and wounded 16 others as they watched the World Cup at the Fun Time Beach café in southern Gaza.
SHORTAGES OF MEDICAL SPECIALISTS, EQUIPMENT & SUPPLIES
- According to the UN, Gaza medical facilities urgently require:
- Specialists in neurosurgery (cranial and spinal cord), plastic surgery, war general surgery, advanced orthopedics, anesthesiologists, and burn management specialists.
- 71 drug items and 20 disposable items, especially psycho-tropic drugs for patients with mental illness, trauma and anxiety.
- Eight anesthesia machines, 10 ventilators, five electrosurgical units, 20 vital sign monitors, ECG machines, and five defibrillator machines.
ATTACKS ON MEDIA
- On July 20, a Palestinian cameraman, 25-year-old Khaled Hamad, was killed by Israeli shelling in the Shejaiya neighborhood of Gaza City.
- On July 18, Israel bombed a building containing media offices in Gaza City, injuring a Palestinian photojournalist.
- On July 15, a driver working for The New York Times was slightly injured by an Israeli rocket attack on a house in Gaza City.
- On July 8, Israel bombed a car used by Palestinian journalists, even though it was clearly marked as media, killing the driver and wounding three reporters who were inside.